Tottenham remain in the hunt to re-sign Christian Eriksen this month amid reports Daniel Levy had laid down terms to Inter Milan over the Dane’s prospective return.
Eriksen is being linked with a return to the Premier League this month after being placed on the transfer list by Inter Milan.
The Dane has struggled to adapt to Italian football after making a £17m switch from Spurs in January 2020.
And Inter have run out of patience with the 28-year-old, who has yet to score or notch an assist this season.
It was claimed last week that Tottenham were exploring the possibility of re-signing the playmaker. However, those suggestions have been played down by one pundit.
There was a twist in events on Wednesday. That was after it was claimed fellow suitors Manchester United were close to having a “laughable” approach accepted by Inter.
However, Calciomercato makes it clear that Eriksen would only join United were Tottenham fail to make their move. With the Dan still owning a property in the south, a return to Spurs is said to be his No 1 priority.
In addition, the Italian outlet claims Tottenham chairman Levy has already held talks with his counterparts at Inter. And they claim the no-nonsense Levy has already told the Serie A side of two conditions over his return.
Firstly, Levy has made it clear Tottenham will only sign Eriksen on loan. Secondly, Spurs have told Inter they want part of his €7-7.5m annual salary paying by them.
As it stands, these conditions are said to be ‘inadmissible’ to the Italians. Such a deal would certainly leave them with egg on their face. However, with options running out, Tottenham’s offer could be the only serious offer on the table.
As such, Levy is taking a calculated risk that Inter may be ‘forced’ to bow to his demands.
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
Expert discussses Eriksen exit
Transfer expert Duncan Castles reckons there is a good chance Inter will be left out of pocket over Eriksen.
However, their financial concerns amid the global economic downturn, means the offer is likely to be accepted.
“That offer that you were talking about and those discussions with Manchester United is one that would be laughed out of court in a normal window, in normal circumstances,” Castles told the Transfer Window podcast.
“‘You want us to give you a player who has been a top performer in the Premier League, and get us to pay a majority of his salary’. It would be a straight blank no.
“But why not chance your arm? Knowing that Inter want to offload him, knowing that he wants to play football. I think there isn’t really looking like an option for Inter to sell him in this window.
“Therefore, maybe you can get a player of Eriksen’s quality to add to your squad for what would be. If Inter were to accept that offer, very cheap wages and just a little bit of extra insurance for the rest of the season.”
READ MORE: Hassenhuttl’s stance changes on Ings, as Tottenham step up interest